Thursday 25 April 2013

Colour & Material



Photography by KEEPCARION
Colour Material was one of the new subjects that I have come across during my Term 1 at the ESAD. At first I didn't really understand what it as about due to the language barrier, but I think I've "guessed" it through the whole term safely. From my knowledge, we explore the colour and the material used in the design and products, the meaning of the colours and the texture that gives the viewer/customer. We were given the task to explore the man made materials and natural materials. I have chosen to explore the "Discarded" colour and textures. These (above) are the photos that I've taken for reference and I've created a copy with my own texture, colour and materials.

Mixed media by me

(Left) is one of the recreation of my photos. I've used newspaper, acrylic, ink, pva glue, salt, pepper, nail varnish, sand paper, photocopies to create this mixed media piece.

Then, I've created a book, with cut out holes to compare the real material and my created material/textures. It will be a side to side comparison without interfering the actual image.

(Below) The finished outcome of the book spread.

Outcome

I was hugely inspired by a piece of work by Allan Kaprow that I've seen at the Centre Pompidou in Paris. The work is called Rearrangeable Panels, which features panels covered in different found objects such as broken mirrors, fruits, leaves, cements etc.

transcript below




Rearrangeable Panels is a key work. With it, Allan Kaprow effects a transition from action painting, as exemplified by the work of Jackson Pollock, to environment art and the art of the happening. Covered in different materials, the nine panels could be displayed in various configurations: in the form of a "kiosk", or a screen, or leaning on the wall. This is one of the very first works to make the person exhibiting it responsible for its arrangement. It is important too because Kaprow used these panels in Eighteen Happenings in Six Parts at the Reuben Gallery, New York, in 1959 - the first happening ever. This new genre sought to break down the boundaries between art and life, between plastic arts and performance arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment